Telemental Health Practice
4.6 out of 5.0, Based on: 2,053 reviews
Telehealth technologies provide mobility and enhanced access to care by providing real-time, interactive video services, in-home and mobile health remote monitoring, and uses devices that gather and store health information. Virtual health visits can include a variety of services (e.g., teleservices), such as remote patient monitoring and video appointments. Telemental health, including telepsychiatry, telepsychology, and teletherapy, is a communication and information system that allows clinicians to provide psychiatric and behavioral health services using the telephone, videoconferencing, and the Internet. Because technologies evolve quickly, practitioners may find it difficult to keep abreast of information. Some clinicians may not be familiar with the intricacies of providing telemental health services. When deciding whether to facilitate a new telemental health practice, clinicians should understand the benefits, risks, and protections that apply to clinical practice. Because of the COVID pandemic, many behavioral health services offered in such settings as private practice, community agencies, or schools shifted to telemental health quite rapidly. This learning material will provide information for the practitioner who may be new to the use of technology to provide remote behavioral and mental health services.
There are many advantages to incorporating new technologies in the provision of behavioral health services to clients, but it requires that clinicians understand its components, use them to maximize the benefits to clients.
To educate CCM® board certified case managers about
Telemental Health Practice
At the close of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Describe the benefits of using telemental health services.
- Explain the use of telemental health for risk assessments, safety protocols, and informed consent.
- Identify ethical considerations when providing telemental health services.
- Summarize considerations for multicultural telemental health practice.
- Telemental Health Terminology Basics
- History of Telemental Health
- Types of Telemental Health Practices and Settings
- Benefits and Challenges of Teleservices
- Computer Basics
- Telemental Health Technology Basics
- Legal and Regulatory Considerations
- Implementation Basics
- Video Considerations
- Client Preparation
- Treatment Considerations
- Telemental Health Best Practices and Professional Guidelines
- Screening, Assessment, and Intake
- Treatment Interventions
- Ethical Considerations
- Multicultural Considerations
- Summary and Recommendations